These are the notes from my adventures installing a MIM 2016 SP1 lab/dev environment. I am using https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-identity-manager/microsoft-identity-manager-deploy as a guide, so make sure you read it as well. A certain proficiency with Windows 2016 and AD is a prerequisite to understand this series. All servers in this lab are running Windows 2016 Datacenter with GUI, and I am using SQL Server 2016. Thus, I deviate from the guide mentioned above which is based on Win 2012 R2 and SQL 2014.
My plan is to use three VMs:
- DC01, the domain controller.
- IM01: SQL Server, MIM Sync, MIM Service.
- IM02: Exchange and other stuff that should not be co-located with the software on IM01. I considered naming it Exchange, but there may come a time when I will install other stuff on it related to MIM.
I am creating a separate domain in a new forest for this lab, aptly named mim.local, as I am going to test multi-forest MIM deployments. This will certainly add some spice to the process…
Be aware, this is a lab. Do not use this setup as-is in production. I have tried to add remarks for what I would do different in production along the way.
The will be a series, and new chapters will be added as I get time. The chapters are listed below.
- MIM LAB 1: Prepare a domain controller
- MIM LAB 2: Preparing the first MIM server
- MIM LAB 3: Installing MIM Synchronization service
- MIM LAB 4: Installing the MIM Portal / MIM Service
- MIM LAB5: The MIM Service / Portal Management Agent
- MIM LAB6: The AD MA and Run profiles
- MIM LAB7: Testing Run profiles and populating data